December is here! This is my FAVORITE month and, probably not a coincidence, is also the month most filled with musical performances! Below I’ve listed out some noteworthy live music events going on in Kansas City this month. Search online for more info on each. Make sure you catch some, and play a lot yourself!
-Laura Lee Crandall—owner, KC Rock Band & Guitar School of Music
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays, From all of us at KC Rock Band & Guitar School of Music
Check out the upcoming live music happening in Kansas City:
- 312th Army Band Christmas Concert – Dec 3
- Musica Sacra, Leonardo Leo – traditional Christmas Carols – Dec 5
- TubaChristmas – Kansas City Symphony – Dec 5 & 8
- Handel’s Messiah – Kansas City Symphony – Dec 5-7
- Rezound! Handbell Ensemble – Dec 5, 6, & 7 (Free!)
- UMKC Conservatory Choirs, “A Season for Giving” – Dec 6 (Free!)
- Northland Symphony Holiday Pops Concert – Dec 7 (Free!)
- KC Jazz Orchestra – Dec 9
- Canadian Brass, “A Holiday Concert” – Dec 12
- Fountain City Brass Band “The Wonder of Christmas” – Dec 13
- Christmas at Evangel (several KCRB students performing!) – Dec 18 (Free!)
- Dickens Carolers – Dec 21
- Ensemble Iberica, “Kilmore Carols” – Dec 19
- The King’s Singers – Dec 20
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra “The Christmas Attic”– Dec 23
Student of the Month – Jordan Cates
Jordan has been taking saxophone lessons with Matt Crandall off and on for the last 2 years, and flute lessons before that. For her great attitude and excellent progress, Jordan is December’s Student of the Month!
Q: How long have you been playing the saxophone?
A: Alto sax for two years, and bari sax for 1 year.
Q: Why do you like the bari sax more than the other saxophones?
A: I like the sound quality of the instrument better than alto.
Q: Why do you like most about playing saxophone?
A: It’s different than all the other instruments in the band. It’s not all just harmony or just melody, it’s both.
Q: What’s your goal for six months from now?
A: To be better! Definitely learning jazz and maybe improvisation.
Rock Band Classes
Rock Band Class sign ups are going on NOW for next semester. Students can join anytime in December and the first week of January. Please contact us ASAP to reserve your students’ spot in a group. Space is limited.
There are two different bands:
Monday Band –5:30 – 6:30
Thursday Band –5:30 – 6:30
Each band rehearses weekly and students also receive a weekly, 30-minute private lesson.
Recital photos are in! Please contact us if you haven’t received them yet!